If you have been looking for a quality screen recording software, then no doubt you have come across Camtasia Studio. You can sign up for a 30 day trial period for free, but if you want a permanent solution to your screen recoding needs, then you are going to want to check out these free alternatives to Camtasia.
$299 is no small price for screen recording software. Camtasia has some phenomenal capabilities, but the problem is that most people who are looking for a tool like this, wont ever use a third of the features that a program like Camtasia has. Not to mention, you cant really argue with free alternatives to Camtasia…
The Best FREE Alternatives To Camtasia
- Camstudio – This is an pen source download that is pretty popular. CamStudio is able to record all screen and audio activity on your computer and cresate industry-standard AVI video files and using its built-in SWF Producer can turn those AVIs into streaming flash video (SWF). I have used this program myself, but was dissapointed with its performance and video export quality. Non the less..its still free. CamStudio can also add screen captions to your recordings a Video Annotation feature; you can even personalize your videos by including a webcam movie of yourself “picture-in-picture” over your desktop which is pretty standard on most screen recording software.
- Expression Encoder – With Expression Encoder 4 you can of course capture your desktop and format the recording into multiple video types. One of the cool features is that you can actually disable the audio feature and go back in later and do an audio overlay. This is really cool if you want to add music to your screen recording. The only downfall to the free version of this software used to be that your recording was limited to 10 minutes. Recently, Expression Encoder released version SP2 that has removed this restriction.
- Screencast-O-Matic – The best part about this out of all the free programs is that you can simply go to http://www.screencast-o-matic.com/ and click “record”. You can record your screen and webcam PIP, and you can even upload directly to youtube from their website. One of the features that I particularly like is that Screencast-O-Matic will track your cursor and highlight your clicks for your audience so that they dont lose sight of where you are clicking.
If you want to provide value to your customers or any audience for that matter, then some sort of screen recording software is a must. And if you dont have the means to fork out $299 for Camtasia, then these free alternatives to Camtasia are great options. They are perfect for tutorials, video lessons for classes, recording cpu issues for tech support, and if you want to get serious and turn a profit from one of these free alternatives to Camtasia, you can record video based info products to sell.
3 More FREE alternatives to Camtasia…You wanna keep your options open…
- Jing – With Jing you can snap and crop a picture of your screen. Record video of onscreen action. Share instantly over the web since they host your pic online.
- HyperCam – HyperCam captures your Windows screen and saves it in AVI movie format. Audio from your microphone is also recorded.
- Wink – Wink is a Tutorial and Presentation creation software, primarily aimed at creating tutorials on how to use software (like a tutor for MS-Word/Excel etc). Using Wink you can capture screenshots, add explanations boxes, buttons, titles etc and generate a highly effective tutorial for your users.
Let us know your thoughts on any of these free screen recording software programs!